Saturday 30 July 2011

19 days post surgery

I feel like shouting from the rooftops I feel so much better! I have this overwhelming feeling of relief and happiness I can't describe. Not quite 3 weeks post surgery and I'm able to eat a normal healthy diet that includes fruit and vegetables - something I haven't been able to do for the last 9 months and it's SO exciting!  I have this renewed inner energy and vibrance that's been missing for so long. I'm starting to feel like 'me' again.


Only yesterday we were driving in the car with the kids and I was singing along to Michael Buble on the radio (and I don't really like Michael Buble) and eldest son says 'Wow Mum I haven't seen you this happy in ages!'


Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but now I'm beginning to recover and feel so much better, I look back over the last 9-10 months and wonder how I coped feeling SO awful all of the time.  It's quite liberating, and already I'm so grateful that we made the decision to have this surgery.


In a moment of excitement (or madness) I have entered Brighton 10km... a sure sign that I'm on the mend.  Just the thought of feeling well enough to even contemplate it brings tears to my eyes (in a good way).  It's not until November so I have plenty of time... I have no clue how it will go, how I'll feel or how much 'training' I'll be able to get in before then. I'm hoping that lovely hubby with run with me for moral support.  It won't be easy though, I'm starting from scratch all over again... 


The bag is the least of my worries to be honest. I am probably the most unfit I've EVER been in my entire life and having had four major operations over the last year, my body is in tatters.  Just walking up a hill I can feel my ITB tweaking and making my knee hurt - not a good start!  So the plan is to get the groundwork done first - build up some core strength and flexibility again before I start pounding the miles. 


But I can't wait to get out for my first short run.. am hoping that might even be in a week or so. There's a brand new pair of K-Swiss trainers sitting in my cupboard upstairs which have been waiting for this moment. Exciting times!

No comments:

Post a Comment